Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Fried Kway Teow @ Amoy Street Food Centre

I had cravings for Char Kway Teow last week. I don't know why, but CKT is something that I love to eat since I was a little boy! Every now and then, I feel like eating it, although I was told it has the calories of eating 12 loaves of bread! (is that true?)

There are many styles of Char Kway Teow and everyone has their own favourite. There's no one stall in Singapore that can please everyone. Not even the best Char Kway Teow stall in Singapore can please everyone.  I have always prefer the slightly wet version (but not soggy). Some like the dry version and think the wet version is disgusting. 

Fried Kway Teow @ Amoy Street Food Centre

This and the Fried Kway Teow stall at Tiong Bahru Market are my favourite stalls. Though this stall does not serve the nicest version I have eaten, I have grown to like it. I have eaten at this stall for more than 10 years!

The funny thing is that the uncle that cooks it is not even consistent! It's sometimes wetter than usual, sometimes it is dry. There used to be 2 uncles who took turns to fry it and they have different styles too! Nowadays I only see 1 old man frying it.

I had the Char Kuey Teow last Saturday. Sis was ordering and she since she had to wait, she had a chat with the lady at the stall. She said that uncle who is frying has been frying for over 40 years!

We were told, the uncle was frying kway teow down the street. When Amoy Street Food Centre opened, they moved here and has been here frying his kway teow here ever since.  Quite a veteran eh! 40 years and people are still going for his CKT!


Kway Teow Mee

Fried Kuey Teow Mee

The default version of Char Kway Teow. It is actually Kway Teow Mee. It is mixture of flat rice noodles with yellow noodles.

I don't like yellow noodles so I 'dislike' this version. Sis ate the above and says it is too wet for her liking. She likes her drier version. But I know many people love this version, that's why there is always a queue for it!



Fried Kway Teow

Fried Kway Teow

This is my favourite. Only Kway Teow and not adulterated with yucky yellow noodles. (You can tell I really hate yellow noodles in my Kway Teow) To order it, say "Heng Kway Teow". You can say Heng Kway Teow to all fried kway teow hawkers. How many of you are like me? You only order Heng Kway Teow.

Sometimes you have to wait a while before they cook this for you. They have to finish serving the 'horrible' mix first before they serve me my 'delicious' kway teow.

I like the wetter version because the kway teow is softer and not so oily. I don't like the drier version, because it gives an oily aftertaste.  I also like to squeeze the calamansi over it so that it gives a slight citrusy taste and fragrance to it. Oh, I am salivating now.


Fried Kway Teow
Stall 01-01
Amoy Street Food Centre
MND Building Annexe B
7 Maxwell Road
Singapore 069111

The official address states Maxwell Road, but it's on Amoy Street.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

gosh 12 loaves?

Nah, that can't be true!

Anonymous said...

I also love slightly wet char kway teow without the yellow noodles (and also without egg but with cockles). I like yellow noodles but in char kway teow it just interferes with the silky texture of the dish. A quick google of gives an estimate of 1,400 calories per loaf of bread (70 calories per slice x average of 20 slices per loaf). Char kuay teow would have impossibly loaded to equal 12 loaves of bread - maybe 12 slices?

Unknown said...

oysterdiaries
I was told that! haha


Anon,
I certainly hope is 12 slices!
I wonder how many calories is a plate of CKT! ;-p

Kenny Mah said...

I know the yellow-ish, thin-and-round noodles aren't good for us, but I do like them mixed with my normal kway teow noodles. It adds contrast. :D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin