Monday, July 19, 2010

Singapore Food Festival 2010 Launch : Clarke Quay Food Street

If you have not already known, the Singapore Food Festival has started in Singapore.
I guess of all the different Festivals that is held in Singapore, the Singapore Food Festival would probably be the most loved by all.

I was there at the Clarke Quay Food Street last Friday to 'check it out'.
Checking out both the food and people there!


***

Oh look who I spotted first.  Mr KF Seetoh, Singapore's renowned food personality and founder of Makansutra. (Oh yes, he was even on Martha Stewart's show last year!)

Mr KF Seetoh of Makansutra Fame

***

More people spotting, I spotted the Minister of Trade and Industry, Mr Lim Hng Kiang there too.

Minister ate here

***

If you are wondering where exactly is the Clarke Quay Food Street, it's on Read Bridge. They have covered Read Bridge and brought in more than 30 stalls from various famous restaurants and hawkers all literally under one white roof!

Read Bridge becomes a Food Bridge

***

How do we eat everything here? Not possible right?  Momo and I met up with Aromacookery and we decided of 'join forces' to conquer the food there. Armed with two pieces of $20 prepaid food card we bought the following:

I queued for the Lim Hai Sheng Carrot Cake. This stall's the famous Carrot Cake stall from Ang Mo Kio Ave 6.

Lim Hai Sheng Carrot Cake

I think so. The carrot cake was quite good. I liked it because there was lots of crunchy 'chai po' that you can taste when you eat it. It was also very very fragrant. This was the $4 version.

Lim Hai Sheng Carrot Cake

***

Next Momo queued for the Rojak. Apa Rojak. What an interesting name. Rojak is a Malay word. If you read it all in Malay, it would translate to What Rojak?

But I realise that their Apa is a translation from Chinese, which means Dad's Rojak. This stall's from Lau Pa Sat Festival Market.

Apa Rojak

The rojak was not too bad. We had the fruit rojak and there was enough 'hae kor' (prawn paste) in it to hold everything together.

What do you like in rojak? I like the fried dough fritters (you tiao) in it.
This was the $4 version.

Apa Rojak

Hey, more people spotting. Guess who else I saw?

- Luke Nyugen, a celebrity chef that's on Food Network Asia and owns the Red Lantern restaurant in Sydney.
- Sylvia Tan, a popular Singapore Food Writer who has published a few books.

Luke was seen carrying a plate of the same rojak! They were filming something.

Luke Nguyen and Sylvia Tan

***

Next, I went to queue for some duck. I think why I stopped there was because of the poster at the side. "Duck Fat Unhealthy? Think Again..." Hmmm

I am not sure where De Tai Roast is from though.

De Tai Roast

Their duck did looked tempting hanging there.

De Tai Roast

I bought two duck drumsticks. A little expensive at $5.80 each.
The taste was OK only to me.

De Tai Roast

If you want me to say which is nicer, I think the roast duck above was nicer than the braised duck below.

De Tai Roast

***

Aromacookery queued for the Ngoh Hiong.
Xin Sheng is from the west of Singapore. Taman Jurong residents would probably know it.

Xin Sheng Ngoh Hiong Prawn Cracker

The Ngoh Hiong did really made a great entrance with a huge leaf that was used to hold the food. It looks really 'photogenic'. The Ngoh Hiong taste not too bad either.

Xin Sheng Ngoh Hiong Prawn Cracker


***

Using credit from Aromacookery's card, Momo got the Yeh Lai Siang Hainanese Chicken Rice.

Yeh Lai Siang Hainanese Chicken Rice

Aromacookery, Momo, Camemberu (who we met there with) HungryCow like the chicken rice.
I think my taste is a bit different. I think it's because I can't appreciate rice balls!

Yeh Lai Siang Hainanese Chicken Rice

***

There we nearly finished up the $40 credit on the prepaid food card we had.


Head down to Clarke Quay with your colleauges or family or friends from now till 24 July, 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm.

Look even the kids are glad to be there.
(More people spotting, these two little cute ones would be the future King and Queen of Caldecott Hill.)

Kids enjoy the Food Festival too

Thanks for reading this long post!

Clarke Quay Food Street
Read Bridge (next to Merchant Court Hotel)
4:00 PM to 11:00 PM
16 - 24 July 2010

Remember to bring your Kopitiam card or purchase a limited edition Food Festival prepaid card.
They do not accept cash.



Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Su-Lin said...

All that chai poh in that carrot cake looks wonderful! Reminds me of home-cooked carrot cake!

I like the pineapple and the jicama in rojak best!

maureen said...

i like the chicken rice ball tooo!

Unknown said...

Su-Lin,
You love chai poh too eh?

I don't really fancy pineapple, but I do like the jicama! (and of course you tiao haha)



Maureen,
Haha.. You ladies all like it. Am I the only one out?

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Keropokman,
You must like kids lots :-)
those 2 are so cute!
Not yours ah?

Unknown said...

Anon,

No lah. Those are not my kids.

Don't you think they just look so so so cute!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin