Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Five Star Hainanese Chicken Rice @ Cheong Chin Nam Road

Last Sunday, we had relatives visiting from the northern states of Malaysia, all the way from Kelantan. They told aunt that they miss the chicken rice that they ate here at this shop.

So, we met and ate at 5 Star Chicken Rice. We had 7 of us. The whole chicken came in two plates of halves. Yes, we like the chicken, and so did our guests. I love their minced ginger and chilli that goes with it. yummmy.



We also had 2 veg dishes. The Sambal Kangkong.



And the 'fan su ye'.



We also had the minced meat on tofu. It's not bad, but I think something's wrong with me. I used to like tofu a lot, but have since the last few months, avoid eating it unless it's in front of me. I won't purposely order it. I wonder why....



The hainanese pork chop. This was ordered because half of our guests are hainanese. LOL.

We asked them how this compares to the original way that the hainanese prepares it. The answer was, it depends on individual families and they have their own variations of it. (were they just being polite? haha but they did say the hainanese chicken was nice though.)



We had a wonderful meal and a wonderful time catching up too. I havae been wanting to visit Kelantan for the longest time. One day.. one day....

Five Star Hainanese Chicken Rice
6/7 Cheong Chin Nam Road
Singapore 599731



Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I really love your site but your photos don't load in bloglines. I was wondering if there was a way to let them load, because I read my favourite blogs through the feed and if I can't see your photos it sort of defeats the purpose, lol!

Anonymous said...

I missed sambal kangkong alot..!

PinkHippo said...

Same for me, last Saturday, my aunt and her husband came from Kuantan and we brought them there for dinner!

Hehe in total there were 19 of us... Two big table, one for senior, like mummy, daddy and all uncles and aunt and the other table for junior for my generation, ie cousins ...

We loved their chiili, really good!

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is the first Hainanese pork chop I've seen in a long, long time that actually looks good! No more kopitiam pork chops for me, thank you very much! :P

Anonymous said...

Now THAT is the first Hainanese pork chop I've seen in a long, long time that actually looks good! No more kopitiam pork chops for me, thank you very much! :P

Anonymous said...

How much are the dishes? Noticed that you have stopped putting the prices. Would be nice to know so that I can budget my yearly trip to the kopitiam shop. Thanks!

southernoise said...

Tofu fatigue!!!!

Camemberu said...

Hehe, did you have tofu fatigue during the Old Mother Hen outing too? I have to say that one was delicious though.

Unknown said...

Katie,
not really sure about bloglines. i will dig out more about it when i have time.

C Rex,
Fly back home. Eat everything you want ;-)

Pinkhippo,
wah. 19 of you all, that's one big family gathering! much bigger than the ones we usually have. LOL

Kenny,
Are you Hainanese? Just wondering...

boluilang,
not very sure about the prices, sometimes I forget to record it down. it should not be too expensive.

southernoise,
that's the word. I actually have tofu in the fridge that I bought for so long, untouch, i think it's going to be past the eat-by date and it's going into the bin. sigh..

camemberu,
no, that time I did not have tofu fatigue yet! haha.. I remember the crunchy bits. yum...... even with tofu fatigue, I think the crunchy stuff will temporary take away the fatigue. LOL...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin